Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Worst Buy

I don't usually do stuff like this, but I am so angry I want to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else. I bought a laptop computer at Best Buy back in February. I also paid $300 for the extended warranty and accidental damage coverage that is supposed to cover me for "everything," including spilling a drink on it or dropping it out a window.

It started crashing on me in September. I brought it in to have it serviced and was told it needed to be sent out for service because it was a faulty memory chip, a problem covered by the fancy warranty I bought. Two weeks later it turns out that's not the problem at all - it's the Vista operating system that came with the computer. They want me to pay them $150 min to reload the OS. On top of the $300 I already paid. Why? Because this is a "software issue," and hence not covered by my warranty despite the fact that the computer cannot function without it.

Spilled drink, covered. The operating system craps out, not covered? I don't get it. Especially after the salesperson did such a great job overcoming my concerns about Vista being so new.

So be warned. If you need more reason not to do business with this company, check out what ComputerWorld had to say. Also read this (scroll down to the part after the Circuit City review.)

3 comments:

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Such bastards! I've always hated that company, so sorry to hear that:(

Anonymous said...

That just sucks, I'm sorry you have to go through this. Can't they just load Windows XP on it and be done with that?

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

At the risk of being stabbed a thousand times over with your knitting needles I have one word... Mac.

Thanks for your thoughts on my Greenjeans BTW. I've never been so non-committal on what yarn to use.