Friday, July 18, 2008

Summer of Frog...and Dog

So far, my knitting this summer has been equal parts FO and FrOg. I've finished three items that I will actually wear (two cotton tank/vests and a wrap). I've also cast on several new things that I realized I would *never* wear, and so they have been (or soon will be) frogged.

I've also found myself reevaluating wips that have been sitting around for a while. Let's be honest: Most of the time, "sitting around for a while" is code for "this isn't working/isn't me/looks like crap/wrong yarn/wrong color/wrong pattern, but I'm just not ready to throw in the towel." I'm sure you know the feeling.

And so, in this spirit of realism (and desperate need to clean up my office) I've bitten the bullet and frogged two long-time "sitting around" projects. One, a feather and fan shawl in Manos del Uruguay, because I realized my needle size was wrong - that sucker was getting so stiff and heavy it could practically stand up on its own. (Note that this Manos has already been frogged from a different project :) ) The other, a top down turtleneck, because there is no way in hell that I will wear a wool turtleneck, ever. What was I thinking when I cast *that* thing on?

It's hard to let go, but I'm feeling good about emptying those project bags and returning reclaimed yarn to my stash. It'll become something nice, someday.

Now, onto the latest fo: The All-Star Shoulder Shawl, so named because it has been my mindless knit during my younger son's endless little league all-star games and practices this summer.



Pattern: The Maggie Shawl Pattern Generator by Lucia Liljegren
Yarn: Patons Grace (sport-wt mercerized cotton)in Tangelo colorway
Needle: 24" circ size 4
Mods: I sandwiched some stockinette panels amongst the garter to keep things interesting yet still mindless enough for spectator knitting. The panels are 8 rows stockinette between 6 rows (3 ridges) garter. I also omitted the shoulder shaping part of the pattern and the picot bindoff (looked too foofy with the stockinette stripes.)

Ordinarily this is not a yarn or a colorway that would interest me in the least. I don't know what possessed me. Maybe it's just this nice summery weather? I don't know. But I bought it and cast on immediately and didn't stop till it was done.

I'm *very* happy with the finished product (although I do hope it will grow just a bit with washing.) I will totally wear this with a white tee or blouse and khakis. Now, to find the right shawl pin...and cast on for either the February Lady Sweater or Laura Chau's top down raglan cardi :)

Now, about the dog...


Chi coverlet


The tedium of frogging led me to ponder some alternative uses for my beloved silk Della Q project bags.


Chi shawl



Chi super-cape



Chi kerchief



"Chi whiz, will you please go away and let me sleep??"


Stay cool!

6 comments:

Kathy... said...

Chi-Priceless!!!

(DH got called in to see that one!) LOL

Dianne said...

I almost snorted coffee when I scrolled down and saw the fashions. My favorite is the Chi kerchief.

Gigi said...

Beautiful wrap!

Lapdog Creations said...

Aww... beauteous wrap and even more beauteous furbaby - LOVE that last shot!

Kish said...

Linked from Chihuahua group on Ravelry. How adorable!!! I like the "chi shawl". Chi's just seem to be sitting ducks for doing things like this :).

Firefly Nights said...

Loved the doggie fashion show. Sometimes there are many WIPs just because doing the same one, or two, all the time, especially for big projects, just plain gets boring. Your shawl is nice and summery. Looks like orange sherbet.