Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day



I don't know about you, but my idea of the perfect Mother's Day involves knitting, not having to cook, yarn, being outside, spending quality time with my family, and knitting. I was able to squeeze all of that in yesterday, because, after breakfast in bed, the menfolk chez Yawnover indulged me with a jaunt up to the New Hampshire Sheep and Wool Festival.

Obligatory animal pics. Aren't these two just beautiful together?


omg - babies!


I was impressed at how well the local kids handled the alpacas, some of whom were not being very accomodating (this guy wasn't too difficult, though.)


While we all enjoy the sheepdog trials and alpaca demonstrations, my guys share a curiously strong aversion to anything that looks like a yarn vendor. (I can't imagine why...) Luckily, they have developed a appreciation for other aspects of the Sheep and Wool phenomenon: Buffalo burgers, fried dough, and apple crisp. Together, these create a powerful distraction that allows me time to cruise multiple shopping venues without interruption.

Since I had just spent some serious time on Saturday re-organizing my yarn and needle stash and planning new projects, I found I wasn't actually too tempted to buy. The was one deal, though, that I simply could not pass up - a bin of laceweight marked $2 per ounce. I have never purchased laceweight yarn and after the yarn-ventory started thinking I really should venture into this territory. The colors in the bin were a bit wild, but I noticed a copper that I really liked:


When the owner whispered in my ear that he would take two bucks for the whole skein, how could I refuse?

Back at home, Frisky, who was sad that non-working dogs are not allowed at the festival, enjoyed some quality time out in the sun:


He also approved of my bargain.

"Plenty of money left over to buy more turkey jerky."


BTW, that is dh sacked out on the lawn behind Frisky, too full to move :) A good time was had by all.

4 comments:

Vivian said...

Wow, what better way to celebrate Mother's Day but a fiber event! We visited an alpaca farm couple of times. They are really cute, can be very friendly too.

sophanne said...

Frisky looks bigger when pictured outside. I guess we don't see the rest of his body during the winter- just the head from under the covers.

Lynne said...

Love the color! What are you going to do with that lovely yarn?

Lucia said...

Very excellent! I'd have gone for that laceweight too... only knowing me I'd have bought the whole bin.