Monday, October 20, 2008

Rhinebeck

Have to admit, I've been a little bit skeptical about the hype surrounding Rhinebeck. I mean, it's a sheep and wool festival. Really, how great could it be?

It was easy enough to convince my family that this would be a nice weekend getaway. (Hubs says I had them at "Pumpkin Chucking.") We started looking early (in August, I think) and were able to get a room in Kingston, a short drive from the fairgrounds.


I guess the first indication of just what kind of weekend this would be was the sight of Ravelry buttons on seemingly everyone I passed in the hotel lobby when we arrived on Friday night. And then this happened. I have to tell you, these are some *seriously* fun girls.

The next morning, after a giant breakfast the family and I headed out early to the fair:


I immediately began kicking myself for underestimating the weather forecast. It was COLD!!! and all of our warm knitted hats and scarves were back home in NH. No matter - we found creative ways to layer and drank lots of hot beverages.


While I didn't take a ton of pictures, I did spot a number of people I recognized from rav and even my snb knit-bud Lynne. I think I probably scared some people with my "enthusiasm," but hey, I was a Rhinebeck virgin. Cut me some slack.

At one point I noticed someone I knew strolling by and almost shouted out, "Hey!" and waved frantically in this subtle way that I have of recognizing my homies in public. Fortunately before I did this I realized that it was Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. Oops :) I don't actually know her. Crazy world, this internet.



I saw two friends sitting side by side wearing February Lady sweaters, and a couple of Tangled Yokes, and oodles and oodles of Clapotis. By far the most amazing knitted sight I saw never made it onto my camera but you can view it here. Even more gorgeous in person, if you can imagine, and the weather was just perfect for it.

Fiber - along with the animals that produce it - was everywhere. Knitters knitting on benches and in line. It was utterly fantastic. I didn't buy a ton, just a few things that I absolutely loved. (Also, believe it or not, some Cascade 220...to take back to the hotel and whip up some super-fast bulky knits to keep the kids' ears warm on Sunday!)


More later, maybe, after I catch my breath.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a great time! Good for you.

Vivian said...

Glad you were able to drag the family there (albeit Frisky-less). Looks like so much fun, with all the fiber and famous faces around. One thing I always enjoy at Stitches is to see all the other creations on other knitters.