Friday, December 29, 2006

Holiday Wrap-Up

Best gifts, Christmas 2006:
1. Kids socks and hats - they are loving 'em :)

2. Gift certificate to LYS - for me!

3. DDR Supernova, at least until dh or I break a hip.

Here are the hats. I didn't finish them in time, so I wrapped them OTN and stuck them in with the socks. The kids thought this was pretty funny. I used Cascade 220 superwash but found I had to go waaaaayyyy down to a size 6 to get a decent looking stitch. And to think I'm the girl who used to knit so tight I needed to go up a needle size, or even 2!! Apparently I've become quite loose in my old age (see also Calorimetry, below.) Anyway, the colors match the coats and the hats fit the heads, so all is well:



I have to admit, I'm very tired of "boy" colors and boring beanies. I'm itching to make them long striped stocking caps or something fun. Instead, I picked up a quickie project for myself: Calorimetry.

In my mind, this is the perfect transition project - one skein, done in a day, interesting construction. I used the Filatura di Crosa 127 and size 8 needles called for in the pattern. I even checked my gauge.

Lookin' good:



Found the perfect button:



Doh!!



Don't I look sad in my ill-fitting headband :-( Aww...If only I had a ginormous head, everything would be fine.

I guess when a pattern says things like "gauge = x when stretched slightly" and "width = ???" one should do a bit of common sense gauging along the way. So, I frogged it out and started over again on size 6's. So far, so good. I'll be more careful this time.

In other knitting news, the Malabrigo IHS still languishes on the needles, as does my niece's felted bag and a felted bag for her mom. I did give dh the original, brown IHS for Christmas. Einstein isn't even swatched, and the Vogue shawl is waiting patiently in its ziploc. So there you have it - the 2007 lineup. At least until I get distracted by some new project.

Happy New Year!!

No comments: